Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Intimidation and T.A.S.T.

Two completly seperate topics ,let me assure you!

Apologies for not posting yesterday but it was my anniversary yesterday so we were out and about.

T.A.S.T. started this week - though the first thing I have now learnt is that Tuesday morning in Australia is actually monday night in the UK!Fancy being so far ahead of us!

I've been playing with this weeks topic of choice - Herringbone Stitch and am really enjoying it! Spent several hours on it last night and will try and do some more today/tonight and show you all tomorrow! The diagonal method of herringbone that sharon had tried refused to do as it was told so I had to keep at it till its done what I wanted but I have now tamed it!

I'm working on A4 sized pieces of off white heavyish linen which will then be stored in a folder. I'm treating it as a fabric/thread doodle pad ;)

Theres been a lot of talk lately on a couple of my lists about people feeling intimidated and 'not good enough' about thier skills.

There seems to be an general atmosphere of people not having confidence in thier skills these days. I admit to having suffered it myself. This is partly due to self confidence issues but also due to attitudes of other people - I had one ex who couldn't stand the fact I was more talented than him (even if i had the self confidence and self belief of the ugly duckling) and therefore did everything he could do to undermine my confidence in myself and my abilities. Am finally learning that I actually DO have some talent and that I can use it.

The talent of many of the people on my lists has often intimidated me. Especially those who do some of the more complicated types of embroidery. I do have occasional flashes of 'I'll never be as good as them so why bother' but have learnt to come back with 'You may not be, but at least you've tried!'

There have been people, who only know me online, who have taken it upon themselves to teach me, encourage me, and make me recognise that I do have inherent talent!

(FYI I've got another one of my ranty posts in the works about art and talent etc)

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to try and possibly fail than be intimidated and not try at all!

Photo's soon, I promise!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I completely agree. For me I intimidate myself through perfection (which I'm slowly working on). Looking forward to seeing your stitches.

Cory said...

Let's start with, Your art is beautiful and creative and unique!! Great job and keep creating!

Next my belief that it is your art and it is always perfect in that it pleases you. You are the one you need to please, not anyone else. To those who want to give unasked for critique, I respond with "Thank you. I like the way I am doing it." You may feel that this is unasked for advise and I understand.

Take care, Cory

Digitalgran said...

Thanks for your comment on Digital Gran Elizabet.
you are so right about the confidence thing. I have lived most of my life without any at all, but now I don't care whether i'm good or not, it's just the enjoyment of doing things that I love.
I'm also going to join Sharon's stitching. i love hand stitching and herrinbone has always been a favourite.

Digitalgran said...

Sorry about the mistakes in the last comment, but I'm hurrying so I can get back to playing(s)

neki desu said...

you go girl!
with a blog with such a brilliant name i wouldn't be worried about my talent

neki desu