Over the last day or so I've been looking at tutorials for various techniques and getting up the courage to try them. Well, yesterday I did.

This is my first piece of fabric paper that wasn't a unmitigated disaster! After Arlee was kind enough to answer some queries I had about the tutorial, I set to work and this was the result.
I'll add more paper than fabric in my next attempt but its come out pretty well.I have a interesting piece of netting on the front of it.
I used this
tutorial by Arlee at
Albedo Design Journal.

This is Clingfilm fabric made using FaeryDi 's
tutorial over on her blog
FaeryDi's Fibre Feats or "Fiascos". Her's seems to have worked better than mine. Mainly because mine didn't seem to be melting together particularly well. At the moment I have fabric in a clingfilm shell and am not sure what I can do with it as it looks like it will all fall apart if I try to cut it or anything.
She was using Saran Wrap which I'm guessing has a different compostion to UK cling film. I am going to try some different brands of Clingfilm before discounting this technique though.

This is a second piece of clingfilm fabric.

This was made using a polythene document pocket. I cut down the seamed sides, opened it up and put bits inside and then ironed it through greaseproof paper. This is a technique my mum and aunt use.

This is a second piece capturing thread in it. I really like this piece.

Finally we have a
Bondaweb Sandwich - If you click on the link the specific tutorial second from the bottom. I find it easier to read by highlighting the text with the mouse - Which is acrylic organza with threads inside with the top layer melted through to expose the threads.
Although a lovely effect I achieved this by forgetting to put the greaseproof paper back on the top and getting melted plastic all over my iron.
Anyone know how to get it off again?
NOTE: All the techniques mentioned that involve ironing plastic/sythetic fabrics etc, need to be ironed through greaseproof paper/baking parchment. All substances that are melted can release nasty fumes that could be dangerous to those with breathing problems.
Anyway, back to work with me! Hope you all enjoy these, and any helpful suggestions at what I can try or am doing wrong are greatfully appricated!
7 comments:
I have been doing Dianne's Cling film tutorial too and I had the same problem with the cling film not sticking, I think from my experiments that it is 2 things, hot heat! and building up the layers slowly, don't ry to put too much fabric in in one go. Hope this helps.
I did have a fair bit of shrinkage, but as the layers built up then they shrank less. I did 2 pink one and a red one, and the pink one wasn't very successful. The red had more layers, perhaps that's why?
How exciting that someone is trying my tutorial!! As Carol said, you need a lot of heat - even hold the iron down for a few seconds so the heat can really get into it. Also use mainly synthetic fabrics, so it all melts together. Trying other cling wraps might be a good idea. I'm from Oz, so my first try was with a cling wrap from here and that was my best piece. Hope it works for you!
Couldn't find an email for you, so I answered your questions re the 1" art squares on my blog.
lufCarol is right about building the fabric up slowly as the cling wrap will only stick to itself.
The other thing is that if the iron is too hot and you iron too long the cling wrap goes cloudy.
If you do "Workshop on the Web" the instructions were in the September 2005 workshop and was written by Carol Coleman.
You've been having a lot of fun! Those are really great. As for the iron, I'm not sure if the Dritz iron cleaner will get it off or not. It gets off a lot of sticky stuff. Maybe it will work with this, too. It's using a hot iron, so at least the plastic will be soft and maybe will wipe off on the cloth, with the cleaner.
Thanks to every one who has commented. I've been having a lot of fun.
I managed to get the gunk off the iron with hot very water and a LOT of scrubbing.
Something I find works with Bondaweb on an iron is salt! Sprinkle salt on to some greaseproof paper and then run your iron (switched on) over the salt - it seems to act like an abrasive but doesn't scratch the iron!
I was interested in your cling film experiments. I am also from the UK and have read Dianne's tutorial and am planning to have a go this weekend. I'll post my results on my blog.
Post a Comment