Work is going well (Am getting lots of work done and this makes my supervisors happy) and I've been finding new sources of inspiration for my artwork.
In a recent edition of stitch magazine (the Embroidery Guild Magazine) there is an article on stitched bowls and thats been making me think about fabric containers - bags, boxes, bowls etc.
I have been trying to come up with ways of manipulating fabric to create such containers and trying to think of ways of stiffening fabric to make them.
Can anyone give me any ideas?
I even made a felt bowl at my monday evening class, though I am having to saturate that with PVA and then will stitch on it to get it to hold its shape. Will do a photo as soon as its dry!
The tutorial I found asks for coat weight wool. Unfortunatly my main problem is finding coat weight wool! Nowhere seems to sell it these days. Does anyone know of a source?
More soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Glad to hear that you seem to be coming to terms with work and now managing to think about crafting.. The bowls in Stitch are fantastic (there is one on their front page for anyone who wants to see what we are talking about). I will ask my niece as she recently made a coat to see where she sourced the fabric - who knows she may have some offcuts. Will let you know. Hope to see you Saturday - Mary :)
I make them with stiff double sided fusible webbing/interfacing.
If this is what you're talking about: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_instructions/article/0,1789,HGTV_3302_2758344,00.html
Glad you're liking the job!
Thanks Mary, am really looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!
Askiing your neice would be very helpful!
Am seriously considering subscribing to Stitch!
Gerry, I might try some with that but it may not be heavy enough. These are several layers of fabric stabstiched together.
You could use disolvable fabric and not wash it out completely and let it set over a bowl shape, this works well. Also using pelmet vilene is good for bowls, ther is a good book out there, fast fun bowls or something it's called. I have used PVA mixed with paper mache glue to stiffen muslin and scrim to make forms too. All worth a go!
Have you thought of charity shops? I have only just started going to them when I need some material for my stitching and am usually lucky. They are very clean!
I have used stuff called Stiffy to spray or paint on bowls etc. the name speaks for itself(smile)
Post a Comment