I mentioned in my last post about the use of sketchbooks in the design process.
While at school, they were a required part of assessment, and then at college they were a secondary but important working tool and these days can be a work of art in themselves.
For those who are really into thier art, whatever medium thier final work is in,a sketchbook is a really good idea. As a record for everyday obvervational drawings, sketches,design ideas and final design ideas they are a valuable creative tool.
I know a lot of people who hate drawing - I used to hate my drawing classes at college, I know how to draw, and didn't appriciate being told that it wasn't 'right' - but even basic line drawings can often be all thats needed to spark off an idea.
They are also a great place to store written ideas, samples of fabric,Photos, pictures from magazines etc. They are a great way to plan a piece of work as well as recording ideas for you to come back to!
Those of you who saw sharon B's wonderful 100 details in 100 days could think that that in its own way is a glimpse into a sketchbook of sorts, in that it is a store of all the wonderful things you can try!I'm trying to get into the habit of keeping a sketchbook handy at all times. I also have a sketchbook I keep soley for putting found images into!
- i have a very battered one from my college days with pictures from magazines in it!
You don't need vast amounts of art materials either. printer paper, a ringbinder and a pencil can be just as efficient as a having a cupboard full of moleskin sketchbooks and high grade pencil sets!
You can use a sketchbook for a wide range of things, from observing, to researching, to expressing and playing with ideas to finally designing your work.
Another concept approach to the sketchbook is the idea of the art journal.
An Art Journal is an illustrated diaries or journals on any theme.
Imagine a normal journal, and then think of it illustrated and embellished!
There is an amazing website here about art journals and doing them!
Although not strictly about sketchbooks, this website is also really interesting; Its all about peoples love affairs with thier moleskin notebooks and planners: The Moleskinerie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment