Sunday, April 08, 2007

Wowee!

I went to my EG meeting yesterday and it was a really good day! I got some work done on my door in the morning and in the afternoon we had a talk done by Kay Greenlees the author of Creating Sketchbooks for Embroiderers and Textile Artists.


This is the book my partner bought for me for xmas after I mentioned I really really really wanted it. If you are someone who wants to develop your work using sketchbooks then this is the book I really suggest buying!

The talk she did was brilliant.

The main points she seems to be wanting to get across are:
Your sketchbook is just that, YOURS. There is no right or wrong way to use it. Do what works for you. It is fine to go off on tangents - they often produce the most interesting pieces!

She said to Catch ideas when you have them - jot them down or do a little drawing- on a recipt, a paper napkin, anything you have on you, you can draw or write on.

Seriously, I cannot say more than go out and get the book if its the way you want to go with your work!

My favourite thing she told me - that I'm not the only one who starts the piece I want to do and then does sketchbook work to go with it ;)

2 comments:

Annica said...

This seems to be a very interesting book! I'll have to put it on my wish list. Thanks for writing about it.

Unknown said...

Hi Agree this is a great book :) Helen