I've having one of those duldrums periods again where I don't know what I'm doing, or where I am going with my stitching...
I have all these things I want to do and have completly lost confidence in myself. Stitches aren't turning out the way I want them too and I am always feeling that what I've made somehow isn't good enough.
I know I can be a perfectionist at times but I'm suffering from a lack of direction. This isn't helped by my missing my Embroidery Guild meeting yesterday because of stomach cramps. This hasn't helped my mental state at the moment either.
I've got all these wonderful materials like puff paint and angelica and tyvek and for the most part no idea what do with them, I've been experiementing with them but still don't know if its all going right or anything.
I joined my textilechallenges group to help get some direction to what I was doing but I'm still feeling a little out there on my own.
I've got a dayschool at Embroidery Guild on saturday which I'm looking forward to, so that should help but I still wish I knew how to do some of the amazing stuff people around me are doing. There are lots of courses and dayschools but till I'm getting paid regularly again, I can't justify it.
Part of this is I have lost confidence in my abilities again. This happens sporadically but I don't seem to be able to pull myself out of it at the moment. I don't seem to be able to get my normal inspiration from the things around me. Its starting to really get to me!
Hopefully I can get back on track soon but I just don't know where to start!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hang in there, Elizabet. You've got so many things pulling at you right now. When you're able to focus, you'll be your old confident self again!
I really think that we all have these times. Grab the bull by the horns and keep experimenting. You will get there!
Sometimes, trying a completely differnet medium - play with clay, like a kid. Something kinda messy - fingerpaint maybe. Thet usually helps me. Then when I go back to my "regular' media - I feel more freedom to play & create
Make a mess, use one of your "mistakes", cut things up that you don't like, just relax and play, don't think, just do. We all have fallow or hard times and blocks, but you are an artist and there are other ways to break the block!
there's good ideas in all these comments hon. I think first you have to focus on starting your new job, and if that means you are a little late with swaps, or can't join in one, then so be it. the world will still turn. then when you know what you are doing at work, you can return to your stitching with a clearer mind. gather all your "mistakes", your UFO's and WIPs together, and really look at them. challenge yourself to MAKE at least one of them work, even if it means painting over it, or cutting it up and repiecing it, or free maching all over it, or whatever. once you have done one, look at the rest again, and see if there is a little glimmer of an idea of what you could do.
we all go through times when we think our work is not nearly as good as everyone elses. what you don't see is the 27 trial runs consigned to the floor/bin before the one that gets posted on the site. and by the way, I was told by a tutor that there is no such thing as mistakes, just work in progress. and keep smiling.
I so agree with all the ladies Elizabet, specially English Rose, but I think you are your own worst enemy. Stop beating yourself up - what have you done to deserve it?! Think positive young lady, and eliminate the negative. Everytime you hear yourself say 'I can't' replace it with 'I will try'.
Post a Comment