Haven't posted for a while as have either been feeling terrible, its been too warm or i was busy sewing. Factor into this the replanting or new planting of many of the pots on our own little roof terrace (The only means of access to the front door involved the roof of the downstairs shops extension) and haven't really had a chance for the turning on of my little computer!
Anyway, I have finished my swap needlecase and its is hopefully starting its transatlantic journey by now, securely snuggled in bubble wrap.
I have to say a big thankyou to Judyth, without whom this needlecase may not have happened. I am incredibly pleased with it though did have a few concerns half way through that were nothing more than my brain going doolally. I had a sudden 'What if it isn't good enough' which was quelled by my beau ooohing and ahhhing over it. I don't think i did too badly, as its only my second 'proper' project.
Judyth had sent me a baggie with a piece of raw silk(matka) to use as the backing. I am now horribly addicted to using this and its rather pricey... Have resorted to relabeling my change jar to The Matka Fund.
Anyway, on to the needlecase:
This is it in its entireity. I decided on a greens and purples with insects theme. I had some nice fabric with leaves on it which I used as two focal point panels. I outlined some of the more visual of the leaves. I used mainly buttonhole, zigzag and chevron stitches for my seam treatments and they are the ones I felt most comfortable with.

This is of the right end of it. It has a lace flower that i cut out, embellished with light green and purple seed beads.
This shows the butterfly done in satin stitch and seedbeads again.
This third shows the button flowers made from two layered buttons with embroideried stems. Its supposed to be chainstitch but its mutated....Above them is my lovely furry purple catapillar.He's off to munch on some leaves!

This shows my tiny French Jet Bead Spider with straight stitch legs and a tiny straight stitch web. I love this little motif and will be doing lots more.. In fact my halloween CQ may be covered in them.

This is my couched snail made from lovely loopy purple wool, with embroidered antennae.
The interior is purple wool sewn to the exterior using a basic whipping binding stitch in deep purple. I then embellished the interior with a simple but visually effective (can you tell i went to art school?) contrasting green blanket stitch, just to pull it all together. I also included a deep plum ribbon into each end for the closure.
Hope you all like it! TTFN!
2 comments:
This is great, and I'm not just saying that. As I scrolled down I had a WOW moment as the piccie appeared! I love the colours, you have put them together well. You have done a great job. I wouldn't comment at all if I didn't think so. You should feel very proud of yourself.
Now I have to resort to finding some way to bribe Charlene.......
great finds at the sallie shop. I pick up an oriental style purse today, that will find a new life in CQ somewhere eventually
Thanks Jo, that means a lot!
I've always been good with colours...either comes from the art training (not bad but not great either and got annoyed that couldn't use textiles as art) or the just generally artistic family.
Try asking her nicely!
I love oriental stuff. My Beau is saving up for a gift voucher at the local oriental store for my birthday.
Post a Comment