Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Melting Felt!

About three weeks ago Carol invited me to join her textile challenges group. We get monthly challenges using textiles and we interpret it our own way. Some of the ladies have done amazing things - I've only got as far as the sample stage and am not sure where to go now....

This month we have been doing The Felt Melt. This is melting Kunin felt to which you have applied some sort of resist with a heat gun to make a lacy effect. Kunin is a type of acrylic felt. Am trying to find a local supplier at the moment as they only seem to sell wool felt around here!Carol helped me out by sending me some and here are my first attempts! I made mine very lacy.


This was using black felt with purple acrylic for the resist.
This piece is sky blue felt. The resist is PVA glue in an overlapping crosshatching sort of pattern.

This is my favourite piece. Green felt with swirly patterns, again using PVA glue as the resist.

This was using gold acrylic paint and PVA as the resist on black felt.
This little piece is ATC sized. I have a couple more pieces I've done but camera batteries have died again!

I need to make one of these into a ATC but really don't know what to do!

Any ideas as to what I can do with them?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning, I love the lacey effect you have achieved

Elizabet said...

Thanks Carol! I just don't know what to do with them now!

Carol said...

What about taking a leaf out of carol's book and using them to make a vessel, you could wrap them around something and stitch up the edge by hand it would be nice gift or for your work space as carol has done? I made an atc and some inch squares out of mine to decorate other bits of work i plan to do later.

MaryB said...

Oooo! they are brilliant, I have never seen this effect before can you bring them to the next meeting? :-)

Judy Scott said...

Hello Elizabet thankyou for your lovely message, I too am in Carols group so thats a lovely coincidence. I've always felt strongley that things shouldnt be hidden and while I was going through what I thought was depression I always felt I should talk about it not so much about me but depression in general because there is too much stigma attached to mental health. Now though I feel I have no choice perhaps its because as a child I didnt have a voice???? I dont know but Im sure not holding back now lol, thankyou for your visit and take care and see you again

Dianne said...

These are great samples Elizabet! Love the swirly one....